Monday 31 December 2012

2012: These months gone by


What. A. Year.  So many experiences, so many destinations and so many incredible people.

January

Picture via pinterest.com
Started off with a bang on Sydney Harbour. Aboard the Southern Swan, I got to experience one of the best fireworks displays in the world.

February


I then took a week holiday visiting friends in Melbourne. Still living on the Southern Swan and returning back to Sydney.

March



We moved on to the Soren Larsen and the mini refit begun!

April



 And so we set sail for the South Pacific Season.  Leaving Sydney and sailing across from oz to New Zealand.  Then we began the epic sail from NZ to the cook islands...

May



Reached the cook islands and Hello to the tropics!!! Visited Rarotonga, Aitutaki and Suwarrow, Before embarking to Western Samoa.

June



After fresh water caves and a swing rope in Samoa, we sailed to Tonga. Here I swam with whales, drank carva  and visited beautiful beaches. Not to mention fell in love with Tongan dancing.

July



The Soren departed Tonga, which I vow to revisit one day down the track, and sailed on to Fiji. It was also at this point that I became a full time deckhand and no longer a galley wench.

August



From Fiji to Vanuatu - The Soren's home for nearly two months and one of the planet's most gorgeous places.

September



In Vanautu I was able to see not only one, but two life volcanoes.  It rocked my world.

October



This month was the age of New Caledonia, and then the return to Sydney via Lord Howe.  It signalled the end of the South Pacific season and my exit from the Soren Larsen.  I got on a plane and headed home for my Sister's wedding.

November

Back in England, I made the most of the Kent countryside in late fall and hanging out with family and friends. It was a time of finding employment and enjoying some creature comforts.

December



My first Christmas home in a while and I even got to decorate the tree! A time to watch the Queen's speech, drink Baileys and eat until I want to pass out. Magic.

 The new year will be seen in surrounded by my Family playing board games in my parents home. Nothing exciting, nothing glamorous. Just exactly where I want to be.

10 nations, over 8000 nautical miles and 2 flights, 2012 took me to destinations I never could of imagined in my wildest dreams.  I learnt so much, not only in sailing, but in human nature and what it means to be part of a close knit community.  My year was dominated by The Soren Larsen and I will always be grateful for what she gave me.

However, 2012 would have been nothing without a supportive crew, a loving other half, great friends and caring family.  Because of them, 2012 was the best year to date. Thank you all. x

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely amazing! Your June photo is stunning! So jealous of your travels but I'm excited to see what 2013 has in store for you!

Aryn
Driftwood and Daydreams

Unknown said...

Thanks Aryn, Whales are just awesome aren't they? let's hope 2013 can beat last year!

http://inspiringtravellers.com said...

What a fantastic year! Love you photos - hope 2013 is even more magical for you =)

Unknown said...

Its going to be hard to beat thats for sure!

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...